Yahweh vs. the gods of Egypt
Exodus 7:1 - 9:7
Dr. Tiberius Rata
Pharaoh was ignorant 5:2
Pharaoh was arrogant 5:2
The focus of Exodus: I am the Lord (Yahweh) - 6:2, 8, 29; 12:12; 20:2
The purpose of the plagues - 12:12
Yahweh vs. Amun - 7:20
Yahweh vs. Heqet - 8:6
Yahweh vs. Seb - 8:16
Yahweh vs. Khepri - 8:21
Yahweh vs. Mnevis - 9:6
Yahweh vs. Sekhmet - 9:10
Yahweh vs. Nut - 9:23
Yahweh vs. Min - 10:13
Yahweh vs. Ra - 10:22
Yahweh is the true, sovereign God who will free His people from oppression so they can serve and worshipHIM
Applying the truth
Take God seriously and surrender your life to Him
Serve and worship God alone
Life Application Questions
- The focus of Exodus is the truth that the Lord (Yahweh) is the one, true God (see Exodus 6:2, 6-8, 29; 7:5, 17; 8:22; 10:2; 14:4, 18; 12:12; 16:12; 20:2).What are different ways God reveals himself in this story, and what do we learn about Him?Are any of these same truths revealed in the life and work of Jesus?
- What was the point of the plagues against Egypt in relation to…
- Israel (see Exodus 6:6-8; 10:1-2; 14:30-31)?
- Egypt, Pharaoh, gods of Egypt (see Exodus 7:5; 8:10, 22; 9:14-16, 29; 12:12; 14:18)?
- The nations and their gods: (see Exodus 15:11-16)?
- Who was responsible for Pharaoh's hard heart?How do you reconcile/explain the following two lists of verses?
- Exodus 3:19-20; 5:2; 7:13-14; 7:22-23; 8:15; 8:32; 9:7; 9:34-35
- Exodus 4:21; 7:3; 9:12; 9:34-35, 10:1, 20, 27; 11:10; 13:14-15; 14:4,8
- How did God’s powerful acts in Egypt demonstrate his compassion and mercy (see Romans 9:14-18)?
- Yahweh defeated the gods of Egypt.How does He defeat the gods of America?
- What are the gods we tend to worship?What are the things we adore, worship, desire, and find more important than God?
- From what “gods” do we need deliverance?
- How does God set us free from our gods today?