Defining the Relationship
May 23, 2021
- Covenant ___________________ Ex. 19
People, Place, Purpose
1 Peter 2:1-9 a ________ _________
- Covenant ___________________ Ex. 20-23
- Covenant ___________________ Ex. 24
Sealed by _________
Hebrews 9:19-22, 28
Authenticated by _________
Celebrated by ___________
Life Application Questions
- God calls Israel his “treasured possession,” a “kingdom of priests,” and a “holy nation” (Exodus 19:5-6). What do each of these identity terms mean and how do they relate to Israel’s purpose? What was the prerequisite for this identity? Peter uses the same terminology for the church in 1 Peter 2:9. In what ways is the purpose of the church similar to Israel’s purpose? In what ways is it different?
- A lot of blood was used in the ratification of the Mosaic covenant (read Exodus 24:5-8). Why was blood necessary for the establishment of a covenant between God and people? In what ways does this anticipate and find its fulfillment in Jesus? What does it mean for us to be sprinkled with the blood of Jesus (see Hebrews 10:19-25 and 1 Peter 1:1-2)?
- What does the remarkable scene described in Exodus 24:9-11 reflect and anticipate (Revelation 4 and 19:6-9)? What is going on in this scene?